top of page
Home & Contents Insurance

Home and Contents Insurance


Home insurance can protect you from financial risk if your home is damaged or destroyed and can also cover your home’s contents if they are damaged, lost or stolen. You can take out cover for specific listed events only or for wider accidental damage cover, depending on your needs.

Who should consider it?


If your home and its contents were damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster or accident, or all your valuables were stolen, could you afford to replace them? If not, we can help.

Home and contents insurance can even protect you against legal liability if someone is injured or killed on your property.

What can it cover?

Home and Contents insurance can provide you with extensive protection if your home and contents suffers loss or damage.

Coverage can include

  • Cover for accidental breakages, damage caused by falling trees during a storm or the impact of a car.

  • Automatic cover for flood and cover for fire or explosion, earthquake, tsunami, lightning strikes, storm, rainwater, hail and wind and water damage from certain leakages.

  • Cover for burglary or theft, caused by a forced break-in and vandalism or malicious damage.

  • Liability cover of up to $20 million for injury or loss of life to a third party, or loss of a third party’s property on a building you own.

  • Automatic inflation adjustment to your buildings and contents sum insured.

  • Cover for accommodation costs, if you need to move out while your home is being repaired or rebuilt.

  • Cover for loss or damage caused by electric motor burnout for appliances.

  • Cover for demolition and removal of debris, and architects and engineering fees.

  • Catastrophe cover up to an additional 30% of the building sum insured, for declared natural disasters

What usually isn't covered?

Each policy is different, but generally you won’t be covered:

  • If your home is unoccupied for more than sixty continuous days 

  • For rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration, depreciation or wear and tear.

  • For damage caused by rats, mice or insects.

There are other exclusions which we can outline for you. In addition, there is a deductible/excess.

Home and Contents Insurance Claim Example


During the 2011 Queensland floods, Michael’s family home and all its contents were severely damaged by floodwaters. Fortunately, Michael had taken out home and contents insurance.

His Home and Contents Insurance policy included automatic cover for flood, so it covered the costs of repairing the damage that floodwaters had done to the walls and floors of his home.

It also covered the cost of replacing his furniture and white goods. And, because he and his two children had to move out while his home was being repaired, his policy took care of the costs of living in rental accommodation during this time.

Contact our friendly team today to discuss your needs.

bottom of page